Potato Clock Electricity Experiment Kit
If you never change your mind, why have one? --- Edward De Bono
What this experiment is about:
- The metal strips and potato make a simple battery that creates electricity to operate to operate the clock. Each potato works as a device called a electrochemical cell. It converts the chemical energy stored in the metal strips into electrical energy.Two potatoes are needed to make electricity strong enough to run the clock.
- A cell works because of the chemical properties of the metals inside (in this case the copper and zinc).The properties of copper and zinc will cause tiny particles charged with electricity (called ions) to move between the the two strips of metal. This flow is an electric current.
- The potato contains the particles that allow the current to flow,but it stops the metals from touching.Electric current also flows along the wires between the zinc and copper strips and the clock. This current makes the clock work.
How to conduct the experiment ?
- Put some soft drink into the pots provided.Insert the copper and zinc plates into the pots, as shown in the diagram.
- Take care that the metal plates do not touch each other.The clock should now start to work.
- You may experiment with different liquids like salt water,fruit juices, or fruit like lemon, orange,tomato etc.
- Cup Size: 5.5cm x 5.5cm x 6.8cm - 2.17inch x 2.17inch x 2.68inch.
- Clock Size:6.7cm x 3.2cm x 1.2cm - 2.64inch x 1.26inch x 0.47inch.
1 x Potato Clock Toy Set (Does not include the potato)
Packed Safely in Bubble Bag.
Age Range: > 6 years old
Dimensions: 6.7cm x 3.2cm x 1.2cm